Sunday, December 2, 2018

I went Back to Austin/and my city was gone

now back in oz for winter visit and memorials for departed beloveds Bluestar and Dorothy Lay. I was sitting in the new sushi-go-round cafe watching the little plates going by like an endless train of possibilities and my friend said"It's like Disneyland has taken over Austin." even in the (formerly) middle-class neighborhood of St Johns the old is giving way to the new and shiny and bright and oh so precious NOW of a consumer dream. There is a new condo complex going up at the corner of St Johns and Guadalupe with (low-rent) options of one bedroom for $150,000 or 2 bedroom(certainly more luxe) for $400,000. I felt like Chrissy Hynde looking at Cleveland"My city was gone".I feel the loss of the Austin I cherished for 40 years and see the bright new metroplex beckoning me: and for a price I can join right in. OH I can hardly wait to get back to the Organ Mountains.Namaste,Brooksie
 

1 comment: